Marlo Thomas edited the book, Thanks & Giving All Year Long. Several writers and illustrators, TV and movie actors contributed their childhood memories or imaginative stories to crate this collection of writings. All contributions from the book go to help the researchers and doctors at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Marlo Thomas introduces the book with a quote from her father.
“My father used to tell me that there are two kinds of people in the world: the takers and the givers. The takers sometimes eat better, he would say, but the givers always sleep better.“
Marlo continues to share that we have many reasons to be thankful. She enjoys the holiday of Thanksgiving with memories from her childhood. She encourages her readers to be thankful throughout the year. Her focus is for people to be givers. A sincere smile is giving.
The children in our classroom need to be givers. We have a responsibility to build a community of learners in our classroom. By having the children hear the stories of thankfulness, we can help them to be more aware of the needs of others around them, building the community of learning with it.
Savorings for reading and in writing for Thanks & Giving All Year Long:
- Short Stories – stories that focus on small moments with important events
- Variety of Genres – songs, letters, fables, poems, comics, narrative
- Letter Writing – tow great examples of letters written to a sibling, remembering a special time and building them up
- Purpose – the author wrote the book with the intention of building others up and raising funds for research
- Community Building
- Health – explore St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital website and learn about children that are their age