As a lover of children’s literature, I often post authors’ birthdays on my calendar. I then give tribute to them and read a book to a class as often as I can. As a literacy coach, I send emails out to the staff with links to the authors and ideas they might use.
So to my surprise, yesterday I received an email from a fellow teacher. She was kindly sharing her week-long ideas to celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday. I was stunned at my forgetfulness. I mean, Dr. Seuss. Everyone knows Dr. Seuss. I just looked at the email and thought, where have I been?
Well, I breathed.
Then I thought. I’ve been:
- instructing writing techniques for the ISTEP prompt
- meeting with new teachers
- coordinating four Title I assistants
- reading with first graders
- animating language lessons
- quieting grumblings
- coordinating new Title groups
- juggling two full-time positions
And, oh yeah … trying to stay sane.
So, Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! Oh the Places I’ll Go!