Rabbit is worried he will miss snow and winter activities with spring coming. His friends present several different perspectives to persuade Rabbit that spring will be great too. Daniel Kirk shares his passion for writing on his website at this link. See a preview of The Thing About Spring and some teaching ideas at this link.
“What are you doing, Rabbit?” Mouse called.
“Saving snow, while I still can,” Rabbit grumbled. “We won’t see any more of this until next year!”
“But spring is coming,” Bird chirped. “Aren’t you excited?”
Savorings for The Thing About Spring:
- Repeating Phrase – “The thing about spring is …”
- Persuasion – seeing a different perspective
- Magic of 3 – words in a series, sentences
- “There are buds on the trees and new colors in the sky, and I feel warm and happy.”
- Community Building – friendship; notice the positive
- Character Change – Rabbit notices the surprises spring can bring
- Science Connection – talk about the changes in the seasons.
- Pair it with another book about fall to winter; compare changes