Lisa Wheeler has created a fun Thanksgiving comedy in her book, Turk and Runt. Turk is a grand turkey, “the biggest, strongest, and most graceful bird on Wishbone Farm.” Turk’s parents have big aspirations for him. Turk is his mother’s dancer and his father’s football player. The family does not notice the Thanksgiving clues, except for Runt. Runt knows that his brother will be chosen for someone’s feast – “But no one ever listened to Runt.”
- Voice – “Look at zee size of zose drumsticks!”
- Illustrations – character feelings are shown through the turkey characters’ faces
- Repeating Structure – father praises Turk; mother praises Turk’ runt gives a warning that no one pays attention to
- Passage of Time
- Humor – “He’s a goner, ” said his brother, Runt.
- Surprise Ending – “Over my feathered body!” Runt said. “We’re not plucked yet. I have a grade-A-plan!“